Tuesday 1 November 2016

Making conscious choices for the home

recycled, conscious home, conscious interiors, sustainable homes, recycled home textiles

Recently I read a comment about fashion blogs saying that there is too often mere product placement and a call for consumerism. Rarely do fashion blogs actually look behind the product and talk about what inspires fashion, the cultural relevance of fashion, the design process and so on. I was wondering if this was only applicable to fashion blogs or to blogs in general. Do we make conscious choices for the home? So today I want to talk a bit about sustainability, repurposing and how much we really need new things in our homes.

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

Don’t you feel guilty from time to time? Again a new cushion, a new vase, a new item to add. Simultaneously you feel to need to get rid of other things. It’s a flow of incoming and outgoing items. And how often to we simply bin things? Maybe a tad too often. As you know I live in a small apartment. And as much as I like to get new items into my home, I also wonder how to get rid of things. Here’s the dilemma. Do I succumb to consumerim?

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

I’ll make it clear from the beginning: I am not innocent. I buy new things because I fall in love with them. Or at least that’s what I think in that very moment. However, I have changed over time and focus more and more on vintage items. At least there the consumerism seems a bit more sustainable. I end up buying existing things, old things, that had a life before. And instead of ending in a trash can they get a second (or third) life in my home. On the other hand I also tend to give away or sell my things too. Why trowing them away if they are still nice and good? Less garbage, less new things. At least it makes me feel less guilty too.

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

Also when it comes to fashion (and I am not a big fashion victim) I find myself being more and more conscious in my choices. Less shirts, but better shirts made of organic cotton. Also recycling is another great option – not only in fashion but in interiors too. Not long ago I bought a blanket from The Future Kept made of 100% recycled wool. And the Swedish home textiles brand Bemz has recently launched a new collection named ‘Respect Collection’. It is entirely made of textile leftovers from the fashion industry. Sustainable home textiles for your home. I like that.

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

conscious choices for the home, conscious home, sustainability, sustainable home, sustainable interiors, conscious shopping, recycled home textiles

What do you think? How important is that to you? I mean I understand, in the end we all give in to the urge to add a beautiful new item to our home. But has this changed over time for you too? Have you started being way more conscious in your choices? In your buying behavior? Not only when it comes to home decor, but also in respect of fashion, food, cosmetics. Anything literally. Let me know, I’d love to discuss this further with you.

Photography via Bemz, first image via The Future Kept

The post Making conscious choices for the home appeared first on Happy Interior Blog.



from Happy Interior Blog https://happyinteriorblog.com/2016/11/making-conscious-choices-home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment